4.08.2009

Happy Nappy Me

Yes, this is me. :)



i have been natural for about a year and some change, i am enjoying the experience and loving my hair more and more everyday. i remember when i decided last february to do my BC, my relaxer had grown out and i had all this fun new growth that wanted to do its own thing. i was in the bathroom looking at my reflection, i found a pair of scissors and in a seconds impulse began snipping away at my long relaxed locks. as i watched my hair fall into the sink and on the bathroom floor i paused for a breif moment and stared at myself and asked "what are you doing?!?" all i could say was "being free" and i continued to snip away. when i finally finished i had about 3 inches of hair on the top and 1in on the sides and in the back. lol, i had somewhat of a mohawk. i stared at myself and smiled because i knew my mom would kill me for cutting my hair, but at that point i didn't care. i felt so free and i felt truly liberated. i can't express the feeling i felt when i decided to go natural and actual followed through with it. over the course of the next few months i tried different styles but in an effort to grow my hair opted for singles(braids)...during the fall i decided to let my newly grown afro filled with kinks and curls to fly free. i received so many compliments and questions and of course a few blank stares. last year was such a learning experience and i can truly say that going natural aided in my growth and maturity that i gained during 2008.

now its 4 months into 2009 and i am still in love with my hair, i found that i never needed a relaxer to began with because as my momma says i have that "good hair". recently i have been wearing it in a straight style by flat ironing it...today its in its natural state and poofier than ever. :). i find that i have so much more versatility with my natural hair, i can wear it straight, curly, afro, braids, locks, twists, anything i want i can do and i love it.

i have found it hard in the dating world with my natural hair, most black men say they love a women who has their own hair and would prefer her to be natural...i smell BS because since i have been natural i have only had a handful literally 5 black men compliment me on my natural hair. i even did a test where i walked into a room of black men (who i didn't know) once with my natural hair and again with a straight (european inspired) wig on. the results were crazy, i got more attention with the wig on than i did with what i was born with. that is why i have turned more towards other races, i find that men who are not black have more appreciation and respect for my decision to go natural. every white man that i have dated since has loved my hair and even called it a turn on, even asian (pacific islanders) have loved my hair...its crazy. so i guess it hasn't been hard just different.


OMGAH as expected i have veered of the main direction of what i wanted this entry to be about, but i've said enough. maybe i'll try again later :)

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I have to say that I want your hair!! My hair has been permed,but I was wondering could I wear my hair like yours? Anyway, your post was great! I agree with all you said. As that India Arie song stated "I am Not My Hair." Great post!

Crystal said...

Thx!! It took me awhile to love my natural hair and i'm still growing to love it everyday. i actually convinced my mom who was the queen of relaxers to go natural, she did her BC yesterday and she looks great...but yes it is true..."I am not my hair" it's just a part of me... =o)